Looking to build apps and Web apps

Tell us how you're using Python Support in NetBeans IDE to build...

Looking to build apps and Web apps

Postby AlanObject » Tue May 05, 2015 5:34 pm

Most of my work in this area has been using Netbeans and Java with the JSF framework. Netbeans is excellent for that.

However now I have to look at using Python with the Django (or maybe other) framework. I am still evaluating. I would rather use an IDE as opposed to vi for everything and have looked at pyCharm. pyCharm seems pretty good and I don't even mind paying for it but I would prefer to keep everything in one IDE. There are a lot of things I have learned about NB over the years that can be put to good use, like CVS.

The biggest trade-offs that I see so far is that pyCharm seems to be better with navigation, and you can deploy the web server from inside the IDE. NBPython doesn't seem there yet.
AlanObject

Re: Looking to build apps and Web apps

Postby mr_lou_d » Wed May 06, 2015 7:58 pm

Alan,

Thank you for your comments. They are important to us, and will help to shape future releases.
As you may know, it's only been about six months since our all-volunteer team began working on NBPython.
In that time, we have accomplished a lot. http://nbpython.blogspot.com/ But you are right when you say "NBPython doesn't seem there yet.

We DO have new engineers who will be addressing "framework support", and Django and Pyramid are at the top of the list. But the schedule for implementation is not clearly defined.
So if you need that support now, PyCharm is a much-admired product in this space.

Best regards,

Lou Dasaro

p.s. Please consider volunteering as a NBPython engineer or tester!
mr_lou_d
Site Admin

Postby Jenselme » Wed May 06, 2015 8:56 pm

Hi,

I should be able to start to work on pyramid support soon. Right now, PyCharms might be the best choice. The support for web frameworks is more complete in the "full" version.
Jenselme

Postby AlanObject » Thu May 07, 2015 4:59 pm

The thing is that all thing things PyCharm brings to the table I really just don't need all that much. As a Python beginner you want to know the one feature that helps me the most? It's the editor's indent management. I just don't need the extensive navigation and auto-complete that PyCharm does but NBPython doesn't yet. And I can start my own server in a CLI window it isn't that hard.

So I'll continue with NBPython for now unless or until I hit a show stopper, which doesn't seem likely.
AlanObject

Postby mr_lou_d » Thu May 07, 2015 6:54 pm

Alan, what version of NetBeans (from Help->About) and Python are you using?
mr_lou_d
Site Admin

Postby AlanObject » Fri May 08, 2015 10:59 pm

I am using NetBeans 8.0.2 Patch 1 and Python 3.4.3 (v3.4.3:9b73f1c3e601, Feb 23 2015, 02:52:03)
AlanObject

Postby mr_lou_d » Sat May 09, 2015 3:45 am

I assume you're using the Python Plugin that was specifically built for 8.0.2 as described by our good friend Geertjan at https://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/entry/python_in_netbeans_ide_81

We have made some improvements since then, and I hope to have a stable development build for testing available soon. I will post its location when available!
mr_lou_d
Site Admin

Return to How I use NBPython