How can I debug an active process

General questions and comments not related to bugs.

How can I debug an active process

Postby rashmidixit » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:48 am

I have to debug a python application which runs outside of NetBeans. I tried to attach to the process ID, however, in the options I can only see the Java Debugger. Obviously this doesn't work. The Eclipse Python plugin allows you to attach to a running process (and uses gdb). Do we have similar support?
rashmidixit

Re: How can I debug an active process

Postby mr_lou_d » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:19 am

Hi Rashid,

"Attach to a running process" is a feature that (for us) is labeled "Future". This probably means next year. While it could be sooner than that, I wouldn't want to get your hopes up. We are still playing "catch-up", having resurrected this project after it was in hiatus for six years.

The good news is that, "Attach to a running process" was implemented in PyCharm 4.0 just this year, and open-sourced with PyDev. You can read about it at JetBrain's blog.
So the immediate answer for you is PyCharm 4.x, but I hope you will still help us with testing nbPython next month. :)

I would be interested in hearing any feedback you have on using the PyCharm debugger. Feel free to post here or email me at my address <redacted> shown on the NetCAT maillist.
Best regards, Lou.
rashmidixit wrote:I have to debug a python application which runs outside of NetBeans. I tried to attach to the process ID, however, in the options I can only see the Java Debugger. Obviously this doesn't work. The Eclipse Python plugin allows you to attach to a running process (and uses gdb). Do we have similar support?
mr_lou_d
Site Admin

Re: How can I debug an active process

Postby rashmidixit » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:40 am

Thank you Lou!

I just managed to install PyCharm and I have to say I am charmed! It is very easy to setup and a breeze to use. My only regret is that I am not using NB :(

Just let me know when you want to start with testing nbPython :)

Rashmi
rashmidixit

Return to General